1. AHEC Services

The stress and anxiety taken off your shoulders, honest feedback and insight, ethical guidance and transparency. This is a unique experience and happens once in a student’s lifetime; we’ll help manage the stress.
While we cannot answer specifically for your family, we know this is a small investment into your son or daughter’s future. Investing in the process now – before it begins – will save you time and money down the road. We help your student find the right fit the first time, which saves having to go through the transfer process later. We work with the student to strategically identify their triangle schools: reach, mid-range and safety. A student doesn’t need to apply to 15 colleges; we’ll help you save time and money with application fees!
YES! We organize all things related to college/university in the US and Canada! It is overwhelming for most students and parents, but we love this process! Our goal is to eliminate unnecessary stress for you and your kid so you can actually enjoy the adventure – which is possible!
Fortunately for everyone, we have Skype, Facetime, WhatsApp, Google Hangouts (and so many more) to make our lives easier! We do like to meet students at least three times in person: initial assessment with parents, beginning applications, finalizing their decision, and visa/study permit applications. We check-in often and make sure our meetings are productive, so we don’t waste anyone’s time.
Your student likely has limited resources in high school, and unlimited resources online. We help you and your student get the most out of the entire college application adventure by providing one-on-one attention.

2. University and Colleges in the US and Canada

College’ and ‘University’ are used interchangeably in the U.S. The more common used phrase is college. Both words refer to a school that offer a four-year undergraduate degree. A university is a large institution which has a number of colleges within it. It offers not only a Bachelor’s degree but also other degree programs such as Graduate and PhD. This differentiates it from a college which has limited or no Graduate or PhD programs. Colleges in Canada offer diploma and certificate programs. Often times it is two years and is more practical oriented. Only universities in offer degree programs in Canada.
A Liberal Arts education allows you to study academic subjects across disciples, for example combining business and biology, communications and sociology, psychology and philosophy. Liberal Arts education emphasizes critical and analytical thinking, you learn to think outside the box, and articulate ideas clearly. Basically, you’re learning how to learn.
Non-profit colleges and universities are focused more on the student’s education and wellbeing; they promote internships and co-ops, activities outside of the classroom (theatre, athletics, music, etc.) and research alongside faculty or independently. For-profit institutions typically focus on getting “people in seats.” Student experience is not their focus; making money and filling quotas tend to be more important.
Community Colleges are two-year degree (Associates Degree) granting institutions. For many US students, this is a good way to bridge the gap between high school and obtaining a four-year Bachelor’s degree. For international students, however, community colleges are not recommended because of the lack of amenities (housing and food) provided. We have found that the US Embassy is more strict with students interview for a student visa to attend a Community College. Instead, we recommend Pathway Programs at four-year universities as a way to help with your transition from high school to university.
The U.S is more accommodating and flexible with students interested in pursuing more than one major. More specifically, liberal arts colleges and universities promote this type of learning. This option is not limited to one field of study and a student is able to venture into a differing fields. For example, a student can have major in both chemistry and business. Read here to find out more on the director of AHEC who double majored.

3. Scholarships to study in the US or Canada

Unfortunately AHEC is not a scholarship agency and cannot offer scholarships to any students, nor can they fund the students to study in the U.S or Canada. However, AHEC does assist in the application for merit-based scholarships. The student is responsible for paying a significant portion of their tuition and fees as well as their living expenses, housing, meals and other expenses.
We do not help you find scholarships but only help you apply for merit-based scholarships. Merit-based scholarships means that the school you are applying to offer you a percentage off from your tuition based on your grades. Depending on your grades, it is under the school’s discretion what percentage you may be eligible for. However, some common places to find scholarships is organizations that sponsor need-based students, parent employers and banks among others.

4. Application requirements to study abroad in the US and Canada

Depending on when you are interested in beginning your semester, it is advisable to calculate a year before the date when working with us. For example, if you are interested in the Fall intake (September), we would recommend starting the process in the Fall (September) of the previous year. This is not limited since some schools are more flexible than others.
For most Ivy League and Tier 1 universities, the SAT or ACT is required to be considered for admission. However, there are several schools in the US that are test optional. If English is your first language, and the language of instruction at your high school, than the TOEFL or IELTS can usually be waived. We’ll let you know if it’s required to be considered for admission.
The U.S and Canada recognize and accept International Baccalaureate Diploma, Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE), British and American curriculum.
Yes. We are partners with a number of University Transfer Programs commonly recognized as pathway programs, which assist students with lower grades get into higher education. These programs are built in within the four-year degree program and is NOT an additional year/semester. The pathway year/semester is typically experienced as a freshman whereby students are given more academic attention in smaller class sizes. University Transfer Programs are not only limited to students with lower grades and are known to be a programs that provide students with a soft landing when they feel overwhelmed with a new environment and the initial university experience amongst new people and surroundings.
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close