Let’s face it, post-secondary education is an investment and can be expensive. However, it can also be relatively affordable. It is important to start the process early (that includes identifying the schools to which you want to apply).
Many colleges and universities in the US and Canada offer scholarships to international students who have been admitted.

Types of Scholarships

  • Merit-based – awarded based on academic performance and entrance exam results (if required). Most of the time, these are automatically awarded by the university at the time of admission; sometimes, however, there is a separate application and deadline.
  • Leadership-based – awarded based on leadership experiences in high school, such as being a team captain, prefect or participating in the President’s Award Scheme.
  • Talent-based – many schools will offer scholarships in music, theatre, visual arts, debate, etc. Some schools will require you to major in this specific area, or at least be involved while you’re enrolled.
  • Athletic-based – while very competitive and not always available, some schools will award athletic scholarships to students who are recruited to play a sport at the collegiate level. We have found the most common athletic scholarships are awarded to international students who excel in soccer, track and field, and long-distance running.
  • Diversity-based – Many schools want to increase their diversity representation on campus. 

Some schools in the US will encourage international students to apply for Financial Aid. If you are NOT a US citizen, then your family may be asked to submit the CSS Profile.

The CSS Profile offers an in-depth look at your family’s finances based on the previous year’s taxes. The CSS Profile looks at your parents’ income(s) and assets, family spending habits and size. It’s a long application that can take several hours to complete.  Completing the CSS Profile will allow the university to award any institutional aid they feel will help “fill the gap” between what your family can afford, and what the total cost of attendance

If you ARE a US citizen, then you will want to submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This application allows the universities to award both federal AND institutional aid.  Some universities also accept the CSS Profile, in addition to the FAFSA. 

*Please note AHEC Ltd is not a scholarship agency. We do not provide any financial support to students.

× Chat on WhatsApp!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close